Digital Literacy and learning technology developers

After reading the blog post, Why we need learning technology developers by Anne-Marie Scott, I found one of the main issues that unexpectedly resonated me was digital literacy; as it relates to the role of learning technologists as well as faculty and students. I found myself agreeing to Scott’s inclusion of digital literacy as a way of empowering all parties to have more stewardship in creating change in digital learning. I would be interested in exploring how digital literacy could really expand opportunities for changes to digital learning.

Scott challenges me to think about what we may ask of our learning technologists, and therefore faculty and students, as we move to change digital learning practices. Scott (2019) talks about how learning technologies can move beyond being tools. “And consider the generative ways in which technologies might act as co-agents alongside teachers” (2019). Technologists being our partner in education is a new approach for me to consider, particularly in my context. Currently our technologists support faculty and students with software or hardware issues, loans, and to research and purchase gear but there is no connection to increasing digital literacy and empowering technologists to develop (in consult with faculty and students) relatable technology. “Bring our specialist knowledge to advise on the use of various technologies in specific pedagogical contexts”2019).

I agree with Scott (2019) when she warns against the dangers of having someone else develop our educational technology. Why outsource when, with digital literacy, we could arm technologists, faculty, and students with the knowledge and perhaps (respectively) skills to facilitate change in digital learning as it relates to, in my case, television and film broadcast experiences and outcomes?

If we accept that the digital pervades education (it does) then I think there are very real and significant risks to institutions in not investing in and embracing this wider conception of our learning technology ecosystem, and the required expansion in the role of the learning technologist. (June 30, 2019)

Scott, A., (June 30, 2019). Why we need learning technology developers. Ammienoot.com brain-fluff  https://ammienoot.com/brain-fluff/why-we-need-learning-technology-developers/

By: Katia Devi

One thought on “Digital Literacy and learning technology developers

1. Hi Katia,

You raise some excellent points in your post, and I agree that technology is becoming increasingly pervasive in K-12 and higher education. Your comment that “there is no connection to increasing digital literacy and empowering technologists to develop (in consult with faculty and students) relatable technology” resonated with me. Learning technologies will be more effectively utilized and/or readily adopted if educators and those working with students and technologies in classrooms (physical, digital, or hybrid) see the technologies as useful and relevant in their given context. Involving learning technologists in education directly and taking advantage of in-house skills and expertise could contribute to more effectively implementing sustainable learning technologies in various organizations and industries.

Amber