Rethinking the context of edtech from the corporate lens

Cottom’s blog post “Rethinking the context of edtech” (2019) discusses edtech is a set of practices that further greater use rather than of a set of tools. I appreciate the author’s consideration on the purpose of education is not just to “keep students enrolled or to graduate students”. The aim should prioritize utilizing edtech to tackle inequalities and enhance learning outcomes which enable students to gain better economic, social, and cultural opportunities (Cottom, 2019). Through the lens of corporate context, I realize the community of practice (project management) I am involved in has started to reconsider the context of edtech. For example, employees are using LMS, corporate online learning, MOOCs, or other project management systems with the desire to obtain meaningful and educational processes that can increase learning, innovation, and work performance. The sociology of edtech causes me to reconsider the purpose of education and work. I believe understanding the how and why of edtech is important for improving learning outcomes and sustaining technology changes in the long run.

Reference

Cottom, T. M. (2019). Rethinking the context of edtech. EDUCAUSE. https://er.educause.edu/articles/2019/8/rethinking-the-context-of-edtech

By: Megan L