Technologists and Digital Literacy

In this blog post by Scott (2019), various challenges associated with educational technologies are explored. One of the issues that I strongly related to was the issue of digital literacy among staff working at post-secondary institutions. According to Scott, technicians skilled in traditional physical lab work may not possess the required skills to “fabricate” digital solutions for virtual learning spaces. I teach in the skilled trades, and within my institution, we teach around 30 trades. Each of these trades has about 1-5 technicians responsible for the upkeep of the lab spaces. I agree with Scott that we may need digital technicians for virtual lab spaces to develop and sustain them in the future. My institution uses a hybrid model for some of our programs, including online labs. However, many of the technologies used are outsourced to 3rd party developers. This outsourcing is because there is a limited number of graphic designers and programmers. If these lab technicians are trained in the use of technology, we can utilize them to develop and maintain these online labs. They may be able to help develop more effective digital tools as they are often just replicating the physical tools in the lab spaces.

By: Tim W.

One thought on “Technologists and Digital Literacy

1. Hi Tim,
    Sounds like a common issue that many institutions face – outsourcing and decision-making that is beyond the instructors (or their leadership). From a change management perspective – how can you see this changing? What impact does outsourcing (rather than having local knowledge) have on your programs, and your learners? Thanks!