Mirroring the Learning Experience from School

D’Arcy’s post about designing a transparent and flexible AV system in the new learning space speaks about sustainability and stewardship for technologies and programs. Although not directly mentioned, the open access for students and instructors to use the collaborative technology freely also promotes digital literacy and the ability to increase diversity in both the technological and physical space. This open access environment allows the learning community to use the technology imaginatively and creatively beyond the designed curriculum.

The post goes on to address sustainability concerns about the technology beyond their warranty period, and the complexity of the system that requires a dedicated support team. Additionally, there is acknowledgement that newer technologies have already exceeded beyond the implemented system.

I felt that the implementation of the AV system and their decision to leave the equipment unlocked has been a victory from two fronts: facilitating access to technology and transforming the traditional classroom setting into a collaborative community space.

Taking on the perspective of the student, I wonder if the shift in learning format has impacted barriers to learning. Did the introduction of the AV systems create new barriers? For example, are there accommodations for students who require screen readers? Does the new collaborative space reduce existing barriers? For example, are students better able to communicate diverse concepts or knowledge through collaborative screen sharing? When considering change, I would want to gain input on what students rated highly important or necessary in the design of the AV system. What capabilities should be included so their learning can effectively transition from their screen at home to the screen at school?

This also raises the concern of how these AV systems impact the socioeconomic aspect. How does the use of the AV system translate across devices? Are students able to keep up with their learning and peers if they have older software, outdated technology, or lack of access to technology at home? The AV system allows screen sharing from the users’ own devices, but is not accessible when the building is closed. How do students continue their learning seamlessly outside of this space? Understanding the user population and how the technology impacts them indirectly would offer additional insight for successful change.

By: JChan

2 thoughts on “Mirroring the Learning Experience from School

1. I like your honest concerns reflected in this post. I agree opening access does not equal access for everyone, especially when referring to a new technology. I wonder if there would be a market for open access tech training?

2. Jolee, thank you for your insightful reflection. The mock AV experience that COVID has pushed on my students has definitely raised questions around accessibility, barriers, learning needs and how a strictly online learning experience has impacted students. Some students have the most up to date devices and software available and have been able to continue their learning uninterrupted. Others have struggled and they, in turn, have challenged me to be responsive, creative, flexible and compassionate. Your last sentence is impactful – I believe you have made a strong point and I would be curious to see the respective impact on changing digital learning.

Katia