Role of learning technologies with diversity

In her post, Anne-Marie Scott discussed commitment, skills, and digital resources as change enablers of a learning technology ecosystem.  She viewed diversity as a prime commitment with the inclusion of various voices in a learning community of an ecosystem.  She further believed in an expanded role for learning technologists. And she cautioned decision-making based only on budgetary constraints for outsourcing learning technology networks.  Instead, she appealed for a broader learning technology ecosystem of various digital capabilities to increase innovative capabilities and the inclusion of diverse voices. From a role perspective, I would have reflected on how learning technologists can further influence the increase of diversity in learning communities (i.e., student voices, academia, IT).  Also, what could be a learning technologist involvement in promoting diverse skills sets (i.e., technologists, engineers, developers, etc.) that can contribute to learning outcomes. I would explore further what are the risks in not expanding the role of learning technologists?  And finally, and closer to my own professional context with organizations, how can learning technologists contribute to the future of work?

By: Stephanie Messier

One thought on “Role of learning technologies with diversity

1. Stephanie;

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I enjoyed Scott’s blog and the issues she raises. I appreciate your focus on Scott’s views on diversity. I agree that including voices reflective of the teaching and learning theatre is related to how you put it “…change enablers of a learning technology ecosystem.” Because of my context, when I have reflected on managing change in digital learning, learning technologists have not been part of my thought process. However, as with you, I now find myself reflecting on what wider role our technologists could play in responding to digital change, particularly in the face of COVID and its role in highlighting strengths and weaknesses in digital learning.